Friday, February 27, 2009

Texas

After enjoying paradise for a few days, I headed to a different kind of paradise to visit my folks in Houston, Texas. I was very excited to be home since I hadn't visited since last May. I had a great first day - ate some Mexican food, saw my cousins, and caught a movie with my brother. I even got Freebirds!


Thursday started out very unexpectedly. I am training for the Cherry Blossom 10-mile and even though I was on vacation, I still had to respect my training schedule (I even ran in Hawaii on the beach, but who can complain about that?). So Thursday morning, I woke up to go for my run in my parents subdivision, was nearing the end of my run, and SMACK! I fell after getting caught on some uneven sidewalk. Let me tell you, that is not a good way to end a three mile run. Basically, my face and right hand broke my fall.


My Angelina Jolie look

Fortunately, I was only a few blocks from home so I was able to make it there in time to be patched up by my folks (after sitting down a few times on the way for fear of passing out). With a fat lip and pretty intense wounds on my hand, I was out of commission most of Thursday and Friday. My parents were great; it was like being 8 again with them bringing me ice and neosporin. Everybody needs a little TLC every now and then!

this still hurts ...

I had made plans to meet up with some high school friends for dinner Saturday night at Mamacita's, a restaurant owned by Gina's family. It was great catching up with a few old friends. Fortunately, I had healed a bit and the swelling had gone down so I didn't look terrible in the pictures. I can't wait to see everyone again when I'm in town.

Marjie, me and John

Gina, me and Kelli

Sunday night I went to dinner with my Mom, step-Dad, sister and her fiance. I hadn't seen Lori since last May and it was awesome catching up with her and checking out her new bling (very good job, Bill!).

my sister, Lori, and me

I look forward to my next visit home. There is no place that feels quite the same as where you grew up.

1 comment:

Annalise said...

This is one of the huge downsides to moving away after graduation: I'm never around for fun get-togethers! Looks like you guys had a great time. Wish I could have been there!