Friday, February 27, 2009

Hawaii

Random parrots on Waikiki

Since I had such a crazy holiday season and needed some summer weather ASAP, I decided around the new year to take a beach trip. I had hoped that someone would be able to join me on my vacation, but Anne was taking a cruise with her husband and it wasn't a good time for my Mom so I decided to just go it alone.


near Diamondhead, I think

I have been on countless business trips by myself so traveling alone has never felt uncomfortable for me. However, when I told people I was making the trip to Hawaii by myself, there was a lot of 'Wow, really?' and 'That's so courageous of you'. I had no idea it was weird? I guess from the outside looking in, maybe it seems a little anti-social or introverted but I assure you, I met a lot of locals while I was there and saw the inside of my hotel room very little (mostly just to sleep and eat breakfast).

Kailua

Diamondhead

Regardless of my single-occupancy status, I had a wonderful time. Hawaii is hands-down one of the most beautiful places I have ever visited. It's so beautiful, it's hard to believe it isn't man-made. The water is crystal-clear blue and the landscape is brilliantly colorful. I was relaxed and at home immediately after getting off the plane.


Kailua

My dear friend Regan lived in Hawaii for a few years and wrote down a list of things to do and see on my trip. Armed with my guidebook, a rented compact, and my blackberry's GPS, I ventured into the unknown. What I found was a people who are very friendly and laid back and an environment which constantly amazed. I tried the local fare and it was amazing: shrimp from the famous Giovanni's Shrimp Truck, Korean BBQ, and lots of fish. I laid out on Kailua and Sunset beach while watching the windsurfers catch some awesome waves. I even tried surfing, got up twice in two hours, and acquired a new found respect for "surfer dudes". I will surf again, and hopefully on the north shore.



The last night I was there, my friend Sean came to Waikiki on business so we went to dinner at a local burger joint. I imparted to him all my Hawaiian wisdom, gave him my guide book and map, and told him, "Don't stay in Waikiki on your down time". Oahu has so much more to offer.

Sean and the Delorean

On Waikiki beach

Before I left for the airport, I visited the USS Arizona at Pearl Harbor. It was a somber experience to see the destruction and know what happened there in 1941. I'm glad I was able to appreciate what our servicemen did then and continue to do now.



It was the perfect escape from the DC winter and I can't wait to visit again.

1 comment:

Annalise said...

I didn't realize you went all by yourself. Good for you! I'm not sure I would have been so confident. It looks like you got some great R&R! I still have yet to go to Hawaii. It looks beautiful. I'd love to be your plus one the next time you go!