Monday, January 21, 2008

Dinner party in frigid DC

As the title of my blog indicates, I am originally from Texas. Houston specifically. I grew up in a suburb called Clear Lake, which is close to Johnson Space Center (where the astronauts train). Growing up in Houston had its perks. I went to school with a lot of smart kids which helped me prepare for college and from an early age had a deep appreciation for the space program.

My whole family is southern and Texan (yes, there is a difference) so I also grew up with a great sense of southern hospitality. My Mom has these awesome recipes, they are all so simple and so good. Comfort food. Lots of beef and potatoes and butter. Every time I go home I think I gain five pounds. But trust me - it's well worth it. I've started using her recipes frequently and decided that I need to write them down so that I can make them for my own family some day.

This weekend I had a few people over for dinner. It was the first time I've made dinner in a long time for more than just me and it turned out wonderfully. I used my Mom's pot roast recipe and made green beans and potatoes as sides. Again, simple comfort food. Everyone loved it. My co-worker brought some great red wine that complimented the beef very well. I have to say, though, that I don't have a very discerning palate. If it's red and not out of the box, I'll usually drink it. I made chocolate chip cookies for dessert, always a hit.

It was great to sit around on a Saturday night with good wine and good friends. It was very cold outside, and a lot of the snow from last week's storm had turned to ice - so definitely a good night to stay in. The only thing that was missing was a fire in the fireplace. I still don't know how to work that thing.

Another advantage of growing up in Houston was the mild winters. Not only does the temperature rarely go below forty, but there is a lot of green year round. It has only snowed twice in the past twenty-five years. And oh yes, I have laid out as late as November and as early as February. Now, that doesn't mean that I enjoyed the summers by any means: think 110 degree heat index and mosquitoes the size of hummingbirds.

But I digress.

I had never experienced seasons until I moved to DC. I have to say that I really enjoy fall and spring, when everything is colorful and the weather is agreeable. But one thing I can't stand is the bitter cold. I can handle 40, even 30 if I'm really bundled up. When I woke up this morning it was 10. Are you kidding me?! And the worst thing is that it's sunny and cloudless so if you look out the window it's very deceiving. All my friends here make fun of me for being cold for basically five months but there is seriously something wrong with you if you don't think 10 is cold - I don't care where you grew up.

Needless to say I'm very much wanting to get away to some place sunny, like my best friend Anne and her husband. They are in Florida for a few days for his birthday.

Maybe I'll escape for a weekend some time soon. Heaven for me is a beach, my iPod, and some low-SPF sunscreen. I can hear Jimmy Buffet already ...

2 comments:

Annalise said...

Hey I hear ya. Houston winters were like the best thing ever. Too bad I really only got to experience a few of them. Steve and I are thinking of taking a cruise next month to get away from the cold. You should totally come...

Anonymous said...

SOMETHING THAT Will BlOW YOUR MIND!!
COME ONE COME ALL TO OUR BIG SPRING SALE, at The
Discount House. All of our electronics and video games are being sold at
TREMENDOUSLY LOW PRICES. So tell your freinds and family the come
visit us at www.mybestprices.biz. But hurry this sale ends on April 21, 2008.