Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Shenandoah


Last weekend I decided to brave the terrible weather with some friends and go camping in the mountains. We had been planning the trip for a while and when the weather looked less than favorable, not one of us was deterred since we had been looking forward to camping for so long.

We left on Friday night after work around seven. It had stopped raining here by then so we thought it would be better in the mountains too. Well, it was supposed to take a little over two hours to get to the campsite but it ended up taking almost four because the fog was so bad it was like driving through cotton candy.


I was so frustrated but we finally made it and the guys helped us set up the tent and canopy until it started pouring down rain. I mean, it was so bad it was saturating the ground and everything else. Thankfully, our tent was dry (relatively) on the inside so when the rain subsided Rachel and I laid down for a bit. Then around 4 AM it started storming: lightning, thunder, and HARD rain for about an hour. I would have been more scared if I hadn't had my earplugs in and slept through the majority of the storm.

Saturday morning greeted us with cotton candy fog again but thankfully the rain had stopped. We had a great breakfast of pancakes and campfire cooked bacon (I don't recommend it). we went for a hike and I shot some great waterfall picks before the sky opened up again to pour on us some more.


Saturday night was spent by the campfire smoking the hookah I got last week and playing games. It was dry and awesome and probably my favorite part of the trip. It was great getting to know everyone better.

Sunday was foggy at first and then ... beautiful! Our drive home was amazing; the rain subsided completely and the sun came out and then mountains were gorgeous. Unfortunately I was driving during this time so I didn't get any pictures of it.

The other thing was that I was sick all weekend with a cold that got worse as I got more wet. I finally feel better today and as I reflect on my first camping trip in over ten years I am happy I went. It definitely wasn't ideal camping weather, but everyone made the best of it and in the end we had a great time. Hopefully I'll get more pictures for my next trip and it will be a little more dry.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey- at least give a shout out. I took those waterfall pics! =)

Annalise said...

You are so brave for camping in the rain. There's nothing worse than being out in the middle of nowhere completely soaked. I'm glad it was a good experience, though. The waterfall is beautiful!