Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Family

A couple of weeks ago I visited my Aunt, cousins and grandparents in rural Kentucky. It was great - a real break from the busy pace my life is usually going at in DC. I even got to pet some goats and see a 14 point buck.

This past weekend my Mom was in town from Texas. It was wonderful - no alarm clocks, no appointments, totally free from obligations. It made me look at my life and wonder if my priorities were in the right place.

I moved to the DC area three years ago after I got my masters at Texas A&M without much thought as to how I would handle living so far from my folks. I integrated well up here and made a good life for myself full of friends and activities I never would have attempted if I was in Houston.

Yet as I have gotten older, I realize the importance of keeping close ties with the people who matter the most. My family has been supportive of my through the good times and bad; through thick and thin; and I know they won't be around forever. I love them so much.

Some day, when I've had enough of the crazy world that is DC, I just might move back down to the land of oil and cattle, where I know I will always have a piece of my heart.

No comments: