Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rachel


Today I am blogging from Atlanta airport - otherwise known as the armpit of the US air travel industry.  Well, maybe that's a big harsh.  But it does seem that no matter where you're headed, you have to fly through Atlanta, and it's invariably delayed in getting flights in and out.  However, I'm in luck today because so far my flight is on time. 

But I digress.  The real purpose of my blog today is to dedicate a few paragraphs to my dear friend Rachel.  She's appeared in my blog numerous times and even has one herself - you can find it to the right by clicking on Reading Is Sexy.

Rachel and I met in the fall of 2007 when I joined a small group through McLean Bible Church.  She was leading the small group at the time and has since passed the torch on to me.  When I joined back in 07, I didn't get to know a lot of the girls very well, but over time I got closer to Rachel and she has proved to be a very dear and loyal friend to me.

When I went through a break up last year, Rachel came to my house and sat on my couch with me and just let me cry.  We've spent quiet moments in prayer and we've been on crazy adventures with the Aggies.  She is always up for exploring DC or whatever local band might be playing at Jammin Java and she has a healthy obsession with Coldplay (which I share).  Rachel introduced me to the world of Edward and Bella, for which I'll always be greatful.  While we are different in many ways, we both love the Lord and I have learned so much about myself by being friends with her.

Why all the accolades for this lovely lady?  Well, she has answered the call to become a missionary and is leaving today for England.  While I will miss Rachel while she's across the pond for the next couple of years, I know that she's doing God's work and I applaud her courage to answer the call to ministry.  I look forward to visiting her some time next year.

No comments: