Wednesday, June 10, 2009

CrackBerry

So I have a problem.  My name is Shani, and I'm addicted to my BlackBerry.  

A couple of weeks ago my fourth Pearl bit the dust (my 4th PDA in less than two years, might I add) so I hopped into Verizon to replace it.  Immediately.

With all the buzz about the iPhone, I decided that it was high time for me to jump on the touch-screen bandwagon and invest in RIM's offering: the BlackBerry Storm.  Those cool commercials where one jumps seamlessly from application to email to browser to camera to phone ... I was hooked.

After the inevitable haggling about whether or not I got the discounted two-year price, (perspective - two years is longer than any relationship I've ever had) I joyfully clutched my new cool phone in hand and explored all it had to offer.  I even downloaded Facebook on the way home and updated my status on how stoked I was to have a new toy.

Two weeks later ...

I stumble into Verizon, barely able to see straight through the frown lines that are now permanently etched into my forehead ... 

"Give me a new phone NOW!  This Storm is a piece of ****!"  I breathlessly exclaim to the cool Verizon sales guy, who casually looks me over and says, "Well, there is a new version of software available if you'd like to test it out---" .. "NO.", I cut him off. "Well, perhaps you need a few minutes with our technical supp--" ... "NO!" I say, exasperated.  "Look, dude, I've been using BlackBerries longer than you've been out of school so trust me when I say I know my way around technology.  I sell pacemakers for a living!  So just give me my refund and a Curve and I'll stop making a scene and telling everyone how crappy this phone is."

Realizing that I'm the definition of 'not going to be swayed', he points me in the direction of the cashier/refund/constantly look annoyed/Verizon person where I wait for what seems like the duration of Gone With The Wind for my transaction to be processed. 

The saddest part of this whole story is that for the past two weeks I've been annoyed.  Uncharacteristically snappy and irritable.  And the culprit?  That stupid waste of plastic and metal that was constantly glued to my hand and the recipient of copious profanities.  I realized this discouraging little fact on my way home, when for the first time in two weeks, I could type a text message without hitting 27 keys when trying to say "btw - be there n 5."  That was the fatal flaw in the Storm - touch screens will never be a superior substitute to the keyboard.  But how sad is it that something so stupid could have such a profound effect on my mood?!

Regardless, I will sleep well tonight.  And knowing, that at any point, should I wake up and find the need to do so, I could send an email, or text message or even post a comment on someones Facebook page that will be spelled correctly with proper punctuation, absolutely warms my heart.

My name is Shani, and I'm addicted to my BlackBerry.

4 comments:

Tom said...

The LG Chocolate is still the Great Satan of cell phones. I feel your pain, though. Time for Verizon to hook up with Apple and have iPhone babies with awesome service.

Clare said...

Since you have you new phone and are in a "happy place" now I can poke fun and say "btw - be there n 5" isn't proper spelling or punctuation :-P I'm glad you didn't succumb to the Storm (as I play w/ my new iPod Touch b/c I couldn't switch to AT&T)

Annalise said...

Wow, what a review. I'm looking for a new phone and had considered the Storm. I'm crossing that option off my list now! I think I'm going to go with the Envy.

Shaun and Kelli said...

I've had the pearl for a while and I really like it. It's nice. Sorry about your addiction. Maybe try something un-blackberry next time?? Just a suggestion. Good luck girlfriend!