Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Exploring the Virginia Wine Country

I am a wine drinker. I prefer reds to whites but occasionally I'll be in the mood for a good pinot grigio or chardonnay. I have always enjoyed getting back to the source; seeing where the wine takes on its flavor and who the people are that make it.

I went to a few vineyards in Texas but I had yet to explore Virginia wine until this past weekend. My dear friend Alexis and I went to the Breaux vineyard with some friends we met at church a few weeks ago.

We had a great time getting to know these guys and learning a little more about what vintages Breaux had to offer. The wine was excellent and I even had a white wine that I really enjoyed. The day was a little hot but breezy and perfect for sitting outside and sipping on a few glasses with some good friends.

Here is a picture of all of us: Alexis, Austin, Reagan, Shani, and Sean.


By the way, these guys are all aggies who just moved to the area after finishing their masters degrees! It's so great to have a little bit of Texas right here in VA.

3 comments:

Clare said...

You should def go down to Lindon VA (it's down 81 near the Shenandoah) They do a barrel tasting in March but year round they do tours and tastings. Most of the time they feature cheese and produce from the local farmers as well.

Annalise said...

I love wine too! It's definitely my drink of choice. If it was healthy and socially acceptable, I'd drink it every meal. Although, I prefer whites to reds.

I wish there were more wineries in Utah, that looks like a lot of fun.

Laura said...

Shani,

I do believe that it is our common love of wine that is responsible for our friendship. Who else would stay up with me all night drinking Cabernet the night before an 8 AM final?

Yes, Sunday is a good time to call. Can't wait to hear from you.