Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A day in the life

A little blog about how lazy and impatient I've become in this automated world.

I walk out to my car every morning in just about the same way. I'm usually carrying way too much stuff but I hate making two trips so I deal with it. I reach for my keyless entry (which is always at the bottom of my purse) and try to unlock everything before I drop something important and probably breakable. Once in my car, I turn on the radio with the steering wheel controls (where I can also adjust the AC and cruise control), put in my hands-free ear piece for my blackberry and I'm off to work.

Once I get to the hospital, I park my car in the garage and go inside through the automatic doors. They almost don't open because I walk too fast for the sensor. I always hesitate a minute to make sure they are indeed open so I don't smack myself in the face (I'm not going to say if that has ever happened before). Then I have to wait (way too long!) for one of the two very slow elevators to go up to, yes, the second floor. I'm on the first.

At some point in the day I use the restroom. And yes, they are automatic toilets with automatic flushing and automatic sinks and hand dryers. If the door to the restroom was on a sensor, you could get in and out without touching anything! In an OCD person's perfect world ...

Some times I think I should go out to the mountains for a few days like that kid in "Into The Wild" and learn to live without anything modern. I think it would be eye-opening for me to see how we could survive without all these conveniences.

Then again, he died at the end of that movie.

I'll stick with being lazy and impatient.

1 comment:

Anne and Brian said...

did you post something like this before?? i think you did...maybe i did...this sounds like me too... ;)